Thursday 20 June 2013

First off, you need to know that I am not an aggressive rider. Sure, I ride more than others might and don't mind going on busy roads, but I am as concerned about car traffic as anyone else. Having said that, I have to say that I have not found riding to work to be any big deal from a safety perspective. I try not to ride on certain streets (like Weber) when it is really busy - that's just common sense - and I have flickers of common sense from time to time!. But when I have been on the busy streets, I find that the motorists have been pretty courteous. Most give me lots of room or, if there isn't that much space beside me, wait until it is clear to pass me.
However, one of the great things about cycling in Kitchener is there is usually an alternate route to take that gets you where you need to be and avoids the really busy roads. It might take a bit of planning and take an extra few minutes, but that's one of the cool things about cycling- getting to explore different areas or taking a few extra minutes to get someplace but feel like you've experienced a neighbourhood, as opposed to travelling from point A to point B in your little coccoon/car.
So, don't let safety be a deterrence to cycling! Be aware, cycle wisely and plan your route and you'll have a great time!
Warren G.

If you’re reading this blog, you could win a free bike by completing the BikeKitchener cycling survey. Fill it out online at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/bikekitchener2013. #BikeKitchener

2 comments:

  1. Definitely agree! I find the vast majority of drivers are very accommodating and respect my space on the road.

    I like to take Duke/Waterloo/Moore to get from the Market District to Uptown Waterloo on my morning commute - a calmer rout than King Street, and has the added bonus of being less hilly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! Pple seem to respect my place on the road. One or two driveway close calls but mostly safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete