Wednesday 26 June 2013

Black Forest Inn Breaks 500!!

I am 100% happy to be writing today! 

I am glad to announce to all my followers (if there are any) that I broke 500 km this week! Actually today!
I broke 500 and I am so freaking excited! I am really interested to know how many km the other bikers have completed because to put that into perspective: 

If all bikers have completed 500 km by the end of the challenge that means (and this is all estimates):

  • 8, 000 km we have biked.
    • That means we has unit have biked across the distance from Vancouver to St. Johns and then some. 
  • $10, 000 were saved in gas
    • We have saved (assuming each participant drives a 50 L tank and gets 10 km/l) = 500 km/tank
  •  400 hours of biking.
    • 20 km will take on average someone 1 hour to complete.
    • We have biked 8, 000 km collectively
  • 25 hours each!

When you put it into perspective it really does not seem a lot of time when you break it down! 

I want to say that I am so happy to have been chosen for this contest and to be able to share it with all these amazing bikers! 

I hope that everyone will be able to share this with us and keep biking and consider the impact that something as simple as biking/walking and not driving to work can have on the earth and your body! I have realized how much I have become dependent on my car...not just me; but my family - its amazing to take a step back and to see how easy it is to change an aspect like that in your life. Now, this is not to say I am going to stop driving, because there are going to be times that I need to drive, but something as small as bikig to the store to pick up eggs, makes a huge difference! 

I can say with 100% certainty that I am going to continue my Bike2Work jouney and bike to work everyday, as long as I do not have a wedding. This is more a safety precaution then anything. It is always great to think that people are responsible, but biking in the country at 2 a.m. is not something that I would be interested in due to all the dangers that you can think of! 

My next challenges: 

  • Put a kick stand on the bike
  • Put a seat cover on the bike
  • Don't get distracted by the Odometer (there are cars on the road)
  • Buy my partner a new bike to allow him to bike with me on days off or after work!

The one goal that I will have after this challenge is to NOT have the bike stolen!

I don't know what it is about me, but my bikes just GET stolen, I don't think I have owned a bike for longer than 6 months without it vanishing, therefore I have learned that there are wrong ways to lock your bike

The wrong way (my old bike and my dog)





The right way:







And the way I am going to be doing it from now on:





Thanks for reading and keep following my posts!..

STEPH MMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




Have you done this yet? It's like 23 questions and could get you a free bike by completing  BikeKitchener cycling survey. Fill it out online at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/bikekitchener2013 #BikeKitchener

No comments:

Post a Comment