Monday 10 June 2013

Biking on a Rainy Monday

In the past, when I heard the downpour early this morning I wouldn't have even entertained the idea of cycling to work. But, this being the Challenge, I was thinking of the things that I would have to do to keep me and the things in my pannier dry. It was no harder cycling in the wet, just a different mindset. That's what I've found the big difference- the mindset. Now, I'm looking for ways to cycle and before I wasn't even considering going by bike. Like last night around 7:30- I realized that I needed my laptop and it was at the office. Normally I would have just jumped in the car and driven to get it but, because of the Challenge, I thought that biking would make more sense. So, I biked!
Despite the rain this morning, I stayed pretty dry. The panniers are fantastic! They keep things dry and secure and its a lot more comfortable using them than the backpack I used to use. When I cycled in the past, my files would be in a backpack and, by the time I got to work, my back would be pretty wet from the heat of having the pack on my  back. Now, because of the panniers, that's not a problem. I'd advise anyone who's thinking of cycling anywhere and carrying things to make the investment in panniers!
I've discovered that biking to work in pretty much any weather is not the hardship I thought it was. I used to drive by cyclists who were riding somewhere in the rain and think that they were foolish for biking in the miserable weather. Now that I've had to do it, I've discovered that it's no big deal and I find that, if I'm in the car and pass a cyclist, I'm thinking "way to go"!

Warren Griffin

No comments:

Post a Comment